CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 1, 2010

Happily in their Debt


I’ve thought a lot this week about the kindnesses of others. The generosity of friends.

Last week a dear family friend took our son, Brian, to Subway for dinner. This was a fairly simple, straightforward gesture and yet it took my breath away. I was so moved that it brought tears to my eyes. And then I realized why.


Because there is nothing more humbling or tender than when someone does something for you that you can’t do for yourself. While in the past six weeks or so, I’ve wanted nothing more than to hug my son and to pamper him in someway, I can’t. The support I can provide him is so limited right now. But Leah could. And she did. She didn’t wait until she ran into him, but she tracked him down, reached out to him and gave him a meal and a listening ear and encouragement. Just like a mom might do. Now, Leah certainly isn't old enough to be Brian's mother, but she nurtured him (and us) just the same.

She also shared a message from me with him… and then carefully took pictures and videos and delivered them to us. She has a very busy life, with so much to do and yet she found time to do this for our family.

Leah and her husband Yancy served as a proxy for us last week and I am forever in their debt. I'm grateful for another glimpse into the joys of giving and receiving vicariously.

2 comments:

Lisette said...

Friends enhance every aspect of life. I am so happy he was able to spend some time with familiar faces.

Karine said...

There is nothing more appreicated as a mother, than when someone takes your child under their wing. It certainly takes a village to raise a child (or an Elder in this matter).