CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ode to KTown


We moved to Kirkland 22 years ago and into our home 19 years ago this month. I have now lived in Kirkland longer than I did in my hometown and have lived in this home longer than the one in which I was raised. There are sacrifices made to live here: small homes, small yards, condo developments (don't get me started) and traffic, but that is all forgotten when I pull into my neighborhood.

I LOVE Kirkland and in random order here are a few reasons why...

*The Greek Place on Central Way. I've lived here 20+ years, grab a souvlaki there at least once a month and can never remember the actual name of the place. But the lamb skewers???? Oh my goodness.

*Walks to Lake Washington.

*The pavillion in Moss Bay that serves no real purpose but centers the town.

*My neighbors. I've always said that our street is where Richie Cunningham lived before his folks bought a two-story house when Joanie was born. They were short-sighted to leave. Back in 1991, the Hills and the Lyons were great neighbors. They have become our dear and trusted friends. And I don't want to imagine the past twenty years without them.

*1982 Little League World Series Champs. 'Nuff said.

*Memories: i.e., my two-year old son once urinated from the bridge in a crowded playpark downtown. Proud moments such as these must be treasured. (In retrospect, perhaps I should have kept a better eye on him.)

*I cannot run to the grocery store without running into an old friend. (must get better about applying making up before running Saturday am errands).

*We are superior to Redmond.

*You do not need a club membership in a place where you can work out out of doors 365 days a year (if you don't mind the occasional drizzle). The weather is so temperate that if it drops below 50 or above 75, you begin to hear complaints from the locals. I also love the flexibility of the true Kirklandite!

*Walking into town on a summer's evening and choosing between a dozen really good places to eat. Including Thin Pan!!! They must have heard my cries and have remained open!

*The most beautiful outdoor baseball park anywhere to be found. Every year the Little League Baseball parade's finale is held here... If that's not America, then slap a beret on my head and call me Frenchie!

*Hot Dogs at the aforementioned Baseball Park. Split lengthwise, grilled and served with grilled onions. Life changing. To bite into one on a warm sunny evening while watching your kid play ball? It is one of life's rare but perfect moments.

*Park Place Books. A real-life actual independent bookstore. With staff who actually read the books.

*Home of Costco's Kirkland Signature Brand. People from all over the country understand and appreciate me the moment they hear where I'm from. You can't buy branding like this (unless, of course, you are Costco).

*Wednesday Market. Every Wednesday afternoon between May and October I can buy fresh flowers, organic cheese, tomatoes, kettle corn, scented lotions, basil, and a taco... all while meandering along the shore of the lake and mingling with the very people who grew or made these products. I LOVE Wednesdays!

*The scene when you drop off of 405 and head into Kirkland. You come down the hill, there are maple trees on your right, the baseball field and the lake in the foreground. When the sun is setting, it is breath-taking... and most of all, when I see that scene, day or night, rain or shine, I know I am home.

When I die, I don't need a headstone, but I would love one of those plaques that are on park benches placed around town. I just want one that says I lived here and I loved this place...

2 comments:

Lisette said...

My heart is in Kirkland too. I lived there 16 1/2 years of my life and had to drag Cameron from there kicking and screaming. I think a sound view from a house in West Seattle would be the only thing to make you move....oh wait, I know of one for sale :)

Bethany said...

I am going to read this post to Nathan every night while he sleeps in a pavlovian attempt to make him finally see the light. I will know it works if he starts inexplicably drooling on his pillow. Oh wait...