CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 15, 2010

Dinner with Friends


This weekend brought the rare privilege of back-to-back dinners hosted by friends. I was reminded yet again that there are few pleasures sweeter than savoring a great meal over several hours at the home of a treasured friend. I've always loved the intimacy of a shared meal. (I think this is why I typically develop a crush on my waiter! I humbly ask, Who can make you fall in love faster than someone who is feeding you?) At a communal dinner, there is a wonderful sharing of flavors and stories. I'm never able to determine which brings more delight: the beautifully prepared food or the conversation which often has taken years to perfect. I love the slow pace of the meal and the way conversations thread in and out without rhyme or reason and sometimes come right back to where they started. I love hearing the old stories at least as much as I enjoy hearing the new ones. I love when the dishes sit at the table along with the guests long after the meal because no one wants to disturb the moment. I love finally clearing the plates together and the way the clinking glasses and cups seem somehow to enhance the conversation, which has become mellow and soft, almost desultory, by this point in the evening.

Simple pleasures truly are the best... and a long-drawn out meal with the people you love is among the dearest.

2 comments:

Lisette said...

.......and not having to cook back to back evenings, that is the best. I will have to say your lettuce wraps made our evening, you truly are an amazing cook yourself. Dinners with friends are such a relaxing way to spend the evening.

Speaking of dinner...Cameron and I have not been to Thin Pan since December, we will have to remedy that soon.

Anonymous said...

We had one of those wonderful dinners with friends this week as well. We actually ended up singing around the piano having a wonderful time. It could not have been planned, just one of those perfect happenings!

Anne