CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 23, 2008

That's My Niece!!!!


This weekend I had a rare privilege: I was able to watch my niece, Megan, star in a play put on by The Richland Light Opera Company. The play was ambitious, powerful and everyone did a great job. That being said, Megan truly was the star in every sense of the word.
I know what you are thinking... I am her aunt. What would I know? But while I have no performing talent of my own, I do have the ability to spot it. Megan performed beautifully and sang with incredible power. Her voice is a miracle. There are a couple of numbers that continue to give me chills 48 hours later.
But there was something even more. Megan's goodness and joy came through with word, note and gesture. Seeing that light in her caused me to reflect on my drive home. I thought of each of nieces and nephews. Each of them have that same light burning bright. It reflects differently in them all, but I am so blessed by my knowing and loving each and every one of my nieces and nephews. Each has a powerful light that both illuminates and warms those around them. There is one more miracle in all of this... they have managed to marry people who add to it!
Any one who knows me, understands that I am not a Pollyanna, and I don't wear rose-colored glasses. Trust me on this. I'm right about these people. I find such laughter and joy any time I am with "The Next Generation". They are funny, intelligent and unfailingly kind to me. For at least the past twenty years, I've understood a very important mathematical formula. There is no better ratio of effort/reward than being an Aunt. All the love... very little of the drama. You get to see the glowing smiles without having to drive them to orthodontist to straighten their pearly whites. None of the sleepless nights, but you still get the excited phone calls very early in the Game... Proms, Weddings, Babies... As an Aunt, you pay for none of them, but share in the joy of them all.
When these nieces and nephews were little, I typically bonded with the girls at younger ages, but I've also come to know my nephews as my dear friends. Some of those relationships came when they moved close but a couple of them were forged when these young men were in other hemispheres! And I still am delighted when I get a phone call or an email forward just because they think I'll enjoy it. I'm grateful any time one of my nieces or nephews spends time with me. Every one of them make me feel young, happy and very alive.
So, to my nieces and nephews, while it was Megan who dazzled me Friday night, each of you amaze me each time I see you. I love your confidence and your kindness. Thank you for always making me feel vital and important. And to my brother and sisters, thank you for sharing your incredible children with me. They've become individuals who are such a credit to you.
(this is one of the few down-sides of being Aunt.... you really deserve no cudos for who they become... oh, well.. those orthodonture bills would have killed me...)

3 comments:

Karine said...

Of course you deserve cudos! I know that you have played a significant part in each of our lives, and helped us become the adults we are now.
I don't know what I would have done without my Auntie Lynn growing up. As a child you ALWAYS took the time to play dolls with me, express your love for me, and humor me as you were my pen pal for many years!
As I grew to a teenager and young adult, you gave me reassurance when I was unsure of myself, you LISTENED to me and tried to understand where I was coming from, and gave unbelievable advice.
Now as a wife and mother, I am still privlaged to receive encouragment and validation every time I am with you.
You have been my cheerleader when I needed boosting. You have been with me through trial and triumph. For all these blessings you have given me in my life, please know you have been a paramount figure in my life, and continue to be.
I love you so very much,
Neen

The Johnson's said...

Aw shucks! It works both ways, you know. Not many have an Aunt that would drive 4 hours to see her 25+ year old niece sing in a community theater show.

Thanks so much for always being the cool grown up, the generation gap, and of course, my spit sister.

Bethany said...

I think that Patrick said it best to Demi when he said, "Ditto".