CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Homage to B-Town

The "Old Bridge"

A while back, I devoted a post to the town we've spent the past twenty or so years, which I really do love. But some Facebook friends recently reminded me of the joys of growing up in Bremerton: Another Northwest town with its own flavor. It's only an hour and a half away from Kirkland, but in a lot of ways, it's another world.

In no particular order, a few things I love about my hometown:

Memorial Park. When I was a kid we'd walk 5 miles and across the Narrows Bridge (aka the "New Bridge") in the heat to get to the only outdoor pool in the city. It was an exotic experience: kids from the "West Side" were there. Kids who wore keys around their necks and swore in public. Intimidating but cool, nonetheless. It was a read education. I was so mesmerized by the drama of the event, that it wasn't until 30 years later that I realized that park also happens to have one of the most beautiful views anywhere.

"The Woods" and "The Orchard". Okay, the neighborhood woods behind our back alley actually consisted of enough space for two tract homes and the orchard were three beaten up apple trees in the corner of an otherwise empty field (that was perfect for pick up baseball games). But as a young child this was "free space" and seemed endless. We'd wander in the woods, climb in the apple trees and eat the not-yet ripened fruit that was so sour, my mouth still smacks remember it. Mom always warned me that I'd get a stomach ache, but I think her cooking prepared me for the stuff, because I never suffered any ill effects. If memory serves, my first kiss was between two of those apple trees in the orchard. Let me just say that Rickey Gischer was one lucky 5th grader.

The Pill Box. Just about every afternoon of our young lives, Pat and I would bike or walk down Barnett Street with a few quarters (or occasionally recylcable bottles to turn in if we were short on cash and feeling entrepreneurial). My first (and I believe last) petty larceny occured here. I was only human. What 9-year old could resist the adjustable ring that came free with purchase of a lipstick.... and I couldn't afford the lipstick! Ironically, a few years later, I landed my first part-time job here. I knew I had arrived when I got to pedal the candy, lipstick and cards that I had once gazed upon so lustfully.

Illahee Park. "Freedom" was riding our bikes down three miles of hill to the beach at the park. Sadly, "bondage" was pushing that same bike back up the three miles home. But still on a long summer afternoon, we could never resist the temptation... I was actually hit by a car riding back home from the Park one time. Lied to my folks and told them I'd fallen off my bike. Didn't want them to be mad at me... (What kind of lying, thieving kid was I??)

The Minoza's House. I could devote a month of posts to my next-door neighbors. They were the anti-Beagley's. They were cool, Catholic (I desperately wanted to go to CCD), and best of all... their mom worked the 3 - 11 shift. This meant that the five Minoza kids... and one Beagley tag-along, had free reign. I learned to play cards, pool and horse at the Minoza's. I watched my first Nightmare Theatre (stayed up after Love American Style) and conducted my first (and last! Terrifying.) seance at the Minoza's. The best thing about the Minoza's were their names. My parents were sensible. Each child was named a one-syllabled, four-letter name that couldn't be shortened. Not so, for the Minoza's. Their kids went by the names Noodle, Pig, Tate, Wick, and Mooer. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a part of this??

The Manette Bridge (aka the "Old Bridge") When I was in the fourth-grade, I was thrilled to go to the Summer Movies on Friday mornings. I would get a ride to Manette and then cross the bridge on foot (because who would pay a dime to drive across the bridge, when you could park your car and walk an easy mile instead?). Walking across that high bridge gave me the most strange combination of exhilaration and fear. I still have dreams about that bridge and now when I go home, I realize what a beautiful, picturesque the scene is of that old bridge spanning the Puget Sound.

View Ridge Elementary. The very coolest kids attended here and the school had the cutting edge teaching methods... Things like Honor Passes (thanks for reminding me Aaron) and Open Concept Schooling (It was a very big deal finding out at the beginning of the year what "side" you were on. As I recall "North Side" was the coolest.... Mr. Lougheed taught me about the Base-10 number system and Ms. Bellmaier had us put together a school newspaper. The cool kids wrote their articles about chewing gum in class. I did an editorial supporting Capital Punishment. (can you say "loser"?)

The "Yard". As a kid, it seemed like just about everybody's Dad (except mine, of course. I could never get a break.) worked at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. But it was just referred to as "The Yard". It was highly mysterious as thousands of men with black lunchpails entered "the yard" at 7:20 am and came back out at 4:02. I could never figure out what they did there or what any of it meant but I was deeply impressed.

I'm happy to be a Bremertonian. It was a proud navy town and it was free of pretensions. There were no organized after school activities and a play date consisted of your mom yelling at you to be home before dinner. And dinner was served every night at the stroke of 5 pm.

I know that the years have given my memories a sweet glow, but it really was a simple, free, and cozy life.

I think I am a product of my environment... and happily so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gotta love B-town. I will be sad when the new Manette replaces that interesting old one. (although I will be glad to have more space in the lanes going across) My memories included the old YMCA (where the new ferry terminal is) and swimming lessons. Olympic View Elementary. And this crazy teenage girl that babysat us and practically moved in a time or two!! :-)

Mrs.Goates said...

Yea, what do we call the new manette bridge.. the new NEW bridge?

Anonymous said...

So many fun memories. I would have to add the football stadium at OC, the Dairy Queen and the Naval Avenue Cemetary. (Ask Gail about that one!) Thanks so much for helping us to remember what great childhoods we had. And of course, what great siblings we had to share all those places with. I love you, girl.

Anne