CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

This Was No Silent Night

The Cast of the Nativity
Steve and I weren't sure what this Christmas would hold, but it was one for the books! A foot of snow (our first-ever Seattle white Christmas... I've waited a LOT of years for this!), a phone call from France and hosting dinner with friends Christmas nights were some great highlights.
We also had a wonderful Christmas Eve... As is tradition, we spent the evening with Steve's parents in Port Orchard. We had the annual Mexican Feast and Nativity Play, but this year, we added a special twist: Santa showed up!!!! A few of you may recognize his uncanny resemblance to Uncle Steve!

The Transition Begins
Steve doesn't really relish being the center of attention, so he was initially a little reticent. But one look at the wonder-filled faces of his nieces and nephew, and Steve's heart was won over. The little ones were so enamored by Santa showing up in Grandma's living room! Almost four-year old Skylie was the least shy of the group and approached Santa as soon as he was seated in the chair of honor. She walked up, looked up at him with those doe eyes of hers and said in a clear and confident voice, "Santa, I cleaned my room." I thought Steve's heart would melt. He got so many hugs and kisses from the little guys and he is such a sucker for that. It really made his Christmas... and mine! He got so excited at the end that he almost took a few eyes out as he tossed candy to unsuspecting family members... but no one was maimed, so it was a good night for Santa Claus.
Oddly enough, just as Santa had left, Steve returned to the party. He said to the kids, "Hey, guess what I just saw??? I saw Santa and his sleigh fly off!" The kids looked at him with awe. Little Elizabeth asked with great excitement, "did you see Rudolph?" Steve replied, "I did see a bright red nose... that must have been him." Elizabeth was very excited and said in a very superior tone to her older brother, "see Mark! I told you Rudolph wasn't just a story!"

....And to all a good night!!!!
Santa with Skylie

...and Elizabeth

...and Mark!

(Mark was hysterical, because he was quite nervous to introduce himself to Santa. But after a bit of positive-self talk he geared up, put his game face on, and as you can see, got quite comfortable very quickly!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so fun!! Christmas is so much more fun when the kids are involved. Don't get me wrong I love Christmas no matter what, but it just isn't the same without the wide eyed faces of the little kids so excited to see what Santa brought them.

Lisette said...

Steve looks so great as Santa, watch out Bro. Wiscombe. We are so happy you had a great Christmas.

Nichole said...

That looks like fun. I wanted to let you know how honored I was with the award Steve gave me. (How come I didn't get yours?) I won't mention what it was in case I hurt others feelings, but seriously, I'm touched.