CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday Brian Dear!

Our Brian turns 20 tomorrow.  Of course he is always, always in our thoughts, but this week it's with an added measure.


Being Brian's mom has always brought so much laughter and joy... & just a touch of embarrassment from time to time!  Though this is the first year of Brian's life that we haven't spent physically together, I feel like I've learned so much about him in the past 11 months and 6 days (who's counting, right?).  The things I've learned most about him are about his character.

I've always known that Brian had a sunny disposition.  I've known that he is positive & optimistic by nature since he was an infant.  But I never realized just how deeply that ran.  I've come to see in the last year that even in times of incredible testing and challenge, Brian looks for, and finds the good.  He taught me a huge lesson this year in an email he sent me.  In responding to my question, "was this week a good one, or was it hard?"  He returned this thought to me that has rung in my ears ever since, "Mom, are you crazy????  Don't you know it can be both?"  I'll never forget that wisdom.

I've also learned a lot about the depth of Brian's faith.  I always sensed faith and conviction within him, but Brian has been one to hold those precious things close to his heart.  And so I silently prayed all through Brian's teenager years that he would be quietly gaining a testimony of His Savior.  Oh, how this prayer has been answered.  When Brian received his mission call, I was terrified.  How could he learn these two incredible difficult languages and then serve in such a challenging place?  I'm pretty sure Brian was a little terrified himself.  Being able to watch Brian tap into his faith and rely on his Savior this past year has been one of the great privileges of my life.  His work and prayers have brought about miracles that I couldn't imagine.  Brian's faith has strengthened mine.  His efforts have strengthened my resolved.  His service strengthens me... from 6000 miles away.

So on the eve of my son's 20th birthday, I give thanks to a loving Heavenly Father.  I thank Him for giving me 19 years with a son who brought more joy and happiness to his parents than was imaginable to me back in 1989.  And I'm thankful, as well, for the past year being physically apart.  I'm thankful for the unique lessons that Brian is learning from this sacred experience and I'm especially grateful that I'm able to learn a few of them as well.  Maybe Missionary Work is Vicarious Work in its own way.

I Give Thanks. 


6 comments:

runner said...

We love Brain with all of our heart and wish him an amazing Birthday! We feel very lucky to call ourselves the "Rolo's". Love you all~Lorimer's

Unknown said...

You've got a great son Lynn! Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday to Brian!!!!

Kristen said...

Lynn, you are so eloquent. You should be a writer. Brian is very blessed.
Love,
Kristen

Cheri said...

You make me cry....with empathy and gratitude. Love ya! Cheri

Karine said...

happy birthday B, we just adore you!