CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Whenever I Think About Pioneers


This month in church, we will be teaching the children of our ward about Mormon Pioneers and their trek across country to Utah. I love pioneer stories and have ever since I was a child. I love stories of their bravery, their humor and their quirks. While I don't believe I have any ancestors who crossed the plains, I feel like these incredible individuals are my heritage too.


I love that Steve comes from good ole' Pioneer Stock on both sides of his family. I chose an excerpt from a journal of a member of the Abraham Smoot Company. Steve's Great Great (I've lost track of the number of "Greats" to insert) Grandpa Ralph Nephi Rowley traveled in this same company. (Ralph loved Nephi so much he changed his middle name to honor him upon joining the church).

I love imagining little Levi and his mother bumping into the Rowley clan on a daily basis on that long dusty trail...
--------------------------
Trail Excerpt:
Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868
Source:
Wolstenholme, Levi, Life Sketch of Levi Wolstenholme Sr. 2.


The saints finally started for Utah. Mother, now a tiny woman weighing no more than 98 pounds was a widow with we three children to care for. I was the youngest. Just three years old and I had grown to be a fat huskey youngster. We came to Salt Lake in Abram Smoot's company. My parents had joined what was known as the ten pound company while in England therefore our transportation was paid. Nevertheless my mother had to walk a great portion of the way and also carried me. I have often heard my sister Lavinia and brother Daniel tell of how mother would pick up cloths on her way and when night came would sit down, and take off her worn shoes. She then would wash her bleeding feet and wrap them up again in the cloths she had picked up. We finally arrived in Salt Lake City in the fall of 1852.
--------------------------------------------

Kind of puts things into perspective, huh? I'll try not to whine if the bus is crowded on the commute home today... Even though I reallllllly miss my parking pass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kept waiting for the punchline only to realize that there was no punchline! Way to trick me-

My feet hurt today after taking a group of Primary Activity children to the museum to learn about the pioneers. Does that earn me any points?

Thanks, truly for the reminder.

Anne

Unknown said...

Would Love to know where your Great, Great Grandfather came from. Because My Great, Great Grandfather had the same last name. He was from Fillmore, UT. Was a Potter from England. Love to hear back...

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

Ralph Nephi Rowley came Staffordshire England, I believe. He was a potter. It sounds like the same person. If you want further contact, leave your email address as a comment and I'll drop you a note. Thanks!