CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Worst Olympic Moment Ever!!!!

Like the rest of the world, the Rowley's have been enamored by the 2008 Summer Games. We thrilled with Michael Phelps when somehow he pulled off that miracle touch to bring him the 7th of his 8 gold medals at the Games. Our hearts broke for my 41-year old inspiration, Dara Torres, when she was denied the gold in the relay after outswimming everyone in the pool. There were other disappointments along the way...

But the worst moment of my Olympic Experience is as follows:

After a long Sunday (sometimes the whole "day of rest" thing is more of a theory than reality), Steve and I lay down in bed to watch a few minutes of the gymnastics competition before drifting off to sleep. We were fortunate to watch the Pixie Athletes in the vaulting competion.

A little background might be helpful at this point: the Rowley's tend to be a bit passionate about sports. It matters not that 15 minutes before we didn't know a game was on, once we are spectators, these matches become like those in the Parthenon: life and death.

The other important thing to know is that Steve has a gift. He can tell how well a game is being officiated, even when he's not in the room to view it. And the reffing NEVER goes his way. It is really very strange that in all the years that Steve has watched sports and all the games (that through his power of discernment) he's been able to tell were fixed by poor officiating, the ref's were never being paid off by HIS team. Strange indeed. Ahem. I digress....

So, back to Sunday night's vaulting competition. Although this was meant to be relaxing, emotions are already running high by the news blurb on Alicia Sacramone's disappointment about the all around event. Steve and I were ready to adopt her after Chris Collingsworth's interview... and then the Vault Competition.

Poor little rich girl Alicia has to start. Steve and I spend 5 minutes discussing why this is unfair and why the other contestants shouldn't have to be locked in a darkened sound proof booth for her performance. I mean they can do it for Jerry Springer, but they can't pull it off at the Olympics????

Alicia gets off two solid vaults and then she must wait. Other vaulters come forward with varying degrees of success. Alicia is clinging to the Bronze by her size 2 1/2 fingertips. And then comes China's Cheng Fei. World Champion. After two stumbles Steve is appalled by her scores that finally do rob Angel Baby Alicia of another medal. He discusses the "hometown effect" and corrupt, slopping officiating. Ever the voice of reason, I sweetly remind Steve that he may not be exactly expert in the field of judging the Vault. I educate him on terms like "level of difficulty". His blood pressure is finally beginning to drop when who should pop on the screen with my boy Bob, but Bella Karolyi who spends the next 10 minutes ranting about the unacceptable sloppy judging of the Vaulting Competition and how darling Alicia Sacramone has been robbed.

Steve practically levitated about the bed. "See?? See??"

This moment in itself would have been annoying. I mean, One never really wants to see one's spouse be right, now do they? But the worst part is that Steve feels total vindication for every "poorly called" game he has ever witnessed... I can spy into the future and every time, between now and the London Olympics, that I question Steve's un-biased analysis, I'll hear, "Remember Bella??"

2012 is a long way off.

I Blame This Man.

4 comments:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

'Anybody catch the Women's Uneven Bars last night? Will my pain never END?

Bethany said...

I really think that we should avoid the discussion about women's gymnastics at the reunion because between Steve and Nathan I think it could get pretty nasty. Nathan is pissed!

teage-and-erin said...

Oh my goodness Lynn, you crack me up every stinkin time I read your blog! And I hate to say it, but I agree with Steve on this one, I was totally shocked at how it went down! Not that I know a single thing about judging gymnastics, but I have been such a fan forever! Hope you are doing great!!!!! :)

The Johnson's said...

This reminds me of Shane's unique ability to foresee everything in sports. As we watch sports center, and hear that a shocking trade has been made, or a unknown has won a major championship, invariably Shane will say, "I knew that was going to happen...I've been saying that from the beginning..." His claivoyance is frightening, but unquestionable.